The Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer



The Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer
The Beatles - Maxwell's Silver Hammer (Copyright 1969 EMI Records)



"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is a song by The Beatles, from the Abbey Road album, with Paul McCartney singing lead. It was written by McCartney, though the songwriting credit is Lennon/McCartney.



The vaudevillian-style song is about medical student Maxwell Edison, who uses his silver hammer to murder his girlfriend Joan, then his teacher, and finally the judge during his murder trial. Despite the grim subject matter, the song is bouncy and upbeat (a "Happy song about a serial killer").



McCartney said in 1994 that it merely epitomises the downfalls of life:



"Maxwell's Silver Hammer" is my analogy for when something goes wrong out of the blue, as it so often does, as I was beginning to find out at that time in my life. I wanted something symbolic of that, so to me it was some fictitious character called Maxwell with a silver hammer. I don't know why it was silver, it ju

Share:
| More



Newly Uploaded Videos